On the 49,000 acre Mugie Wildlife Conservancy in Laikipia, a district in Northern Kenya consisting of semi-arid grassland and savannah bush.
A gracious manor house, private home of Nicky and Gaby Hahn, which offers its guests a unique opportunity to live their own African dream: participating in ranch life and vital conservation work within one of Africa’s last great wilderness areas including four of the big five.
Mutamaiyu House has 4 spacious luxury cottages, each with its own fire place, built to take full advantage of the spectacular views. 240V charging facilities as well as wireless internet connectivity are available. A new family cottage with 2 separate bedrooms is now also available.
- Water, soft drinks, beer, house wines and non-luxury spirits are included in the room rates.
- Champagne, special wines and luxury spirits are at an additional cost.
Daily Activities personalised to guest requirements:
- Day & night game drives in the Mugie Wildlife Conservancy with Professional Safari Guides
- Lion tracking
- Guided bush walks
- Heated swimming pool
- Bush breakfast
- Visit to the Mugie school
- Introduction to the Pokot and Samburu traditional ways of life
- Visit to the weekly market day in Suguta Marmar
- Join in with day to day ranching activities
- Visit to the Gala graves
- Golf *
- Cultural boma visit *
* Activities at an extra cost
Game drives are done in closed 4WD safari vehicles with three roof hatches. A maximum of five guests per vehicle. We also have a larger vehicle that can take 9 guests.
Dining & Lounge:
- Spacious dining room with large windows to maximise views.
- Dinner is served around a large dining table ‘dinner party style’.
- Private meals can be arranged.
- International cuisine caters to a variety of dietary requirements.
Mugie Ranch is a commercial livestock ranch, which includes cattle, sheep, goats and camels. The ranch is a vital part of the local economy as local villages, small-scale farmers and nomadic tribesmen supply livestock to the ranch.
Mugie Ranch is also a founding member of Laikipia Wildlife Forum, an association of the residents of Laikipia to conserve the integrity of the Laikipia ecosystem by creatively managing the natural resources to improve the livelihood of its people.
A huge success story is the Mugie Primary and Nursery school, built and funded by Mugie Ranch since its creation 15 years ago. The school, currently at 150 children has moved from 17th position to 1st position within the region over the last three years! A School Trust has been formed to enable gifted children to further education on leaving the school. Mugie Ranch provides the children with uniforms, all education materials and two meals a day.
How to get there:
GPS co-ordinates: N 00 42 528 E 036 35 121
By road: Approximately 5½ hours driving time from Nairobi.
By air: Nearby airstrips are Mugie (10 min game drive) and Loisaba* (45 min). These are private and unmanned airstrips, serviced by Mugie and Loisaba:
- Safarilink – from Nairobi daily to Loisaba with return
- from Loisaba to Nairobi (min. 2 persons)
- from Loisaba to the Maasai Mara (min. 2 persons) only operates during the high season.
- Charter flights as requested
Annual closing dates:
Months of January, May and June.